Mixed up some milliput and GS and tried my hand at a stone wall. Took a little while to get my groove, between learning the tools and the material setting up. Also should’ve done it in two or three sessions, I had to rush the last half of the left wall because it was stiffening up considerably. So it’s pretty rough and the textures aren’t as uniform as I’d like but I think it will paint up ok. The upper right and lower left have a decent consistency and are close to what I was shooting for here.
Overall I had fun getting into the groove with this phase of the project, which promises good things for the future of my ability to put minis in cooler settings.
Championship Sunday, nice crackling fire, cat nestled on the blanket nearby…perfect hobby day. I spent it on a variety of things old and new.
I dusted off the Keeper, who has been languishing for a looong time on the bench. I spent a little time doing some value correction on his display base, mostly just black washes. And onto the Keeper himself, I glazed the orb a bit and then began sketching in the initial (darkest) layer of OSL to get an idea of where I’m going with it. Since I want it to be bright enough to hit some of the elements of his base, I’m going to have to push this way beyond what I did previously with the gravedigger.
I think he’s going to be pretty cool!
Then I tried my hand at sculpting a rosebud per Corporea’s excellent tutorial. I am terribad with GS, but I managed to mangle together three candidates which are way too tiny to photograph with my phone. I used the leftover GS to make a large one, and an amorphous head-type thing.
The rose is eventually going to hopefully maybe be part of Dark Sword’s Thalia. I prepped her and another resin mini, here they are drying off on the counter…
Then I prepped yet ANOTHER model I’ve been thinking of painting, a mini from the mind of Kev White (neither the mini nor Kev pictured herein, sorry!).
Didn’t get much done on that initial layer, as my mom popped in for a visit, which put an end to hobby Sunday (in a good way!).
Worked on a couple non-painting things today. First I filled in a base to glue Noreth to and then sculpted a rock to go on it later. I also tried a couple different ways of pressing in textures, but I like the sculpted rock the best. Then for the heck of it I tried to sculpt a little rat based on something Schubert did in his class on sculpting base accessories. A big meh, we’ll see if I can save him with paint (which is what Derek said about his early base additions, heh).
Then I put all the stuff I forgot to glue to the Keeper’s base before I primed it. Woops. Hopefully a couple more layers of primer won’t kill it! This base was started in Proctor’s basing class.
I’m putting together a diorama for another Reaper forum contest, though I’m not sure I’ll make the deadline. The loose theme is Scandinavian, and though that encompasses more than Norse mythos, I do love me some Valkyrie action. So my idea is a fire giant from Muspell is threatening a Valkyrie who has come to take a fallen warrior to Valhalla.
Here’s a rough mockup:
Then the basic ‘rock’ shapes glued in:
I’ve also started on modifying the models, cutting off bases and repositioning the fallen warrior. Luckily, he’s Reaper’s P65 lead line, so easy to bend after cutting away a few attach points. Then I pinned them for mounting and applied some green stuff as gap filler/basic snowbanks. Hopefully my ‘snow’ will cover my terrible GS sculpting ‘skill’:
Tentatively named ‘The Warrior’s Soul’.
It’s my first conversion! I lopped the hands and top of the head off Damien and added the hands and hat from the Black Mist, with a bit of green stuff to make the top of the hat a bit wider for Damien’s big hair/horns. Painted up as a Gunslinger.
Still trying to get my camera setup right and struggling with glossiness on the mini. Some of the subtlety is killed by the gloss, the pants are more of an olive and the straps stand out against them a bit more, for instance.
Damien got a coat of Brown Liner to get things rolling. Mr. Schubert has been very generous in sharing his process, so with this project I’m going to use a few of his WIPs to guide me. Kind of a mash of his hellborns and his latest gunslinger, with a few detours along the way, I’m sure. DKS uses Brown Liner to start so many of his browns, I felt basing most of the model with it made sense. Unfortunately it shows as super glossy in the pics, in reality it’s just uniformish Brown Liner.
Skin got base, shade and highlight. Not sure if I want to push it any further, it looks pretty decent here. Also did the eyes.
Also trying to paint areas fully without base coating each, something I haven’t really done before. A good way to focus on my neatness.
Green stuff. My second attempt at using the stuff and it’s a pain in the butt. Does the job, more or less.
My first attempt at using kneadatite. I have a renewed respect for sculptors!
I mixed a tiny slab of the stuff, then cut off a little tiny bit, and then cut that in half (for each orb). Rolled it into a ball and it was massive when I went to insert it. Cut it in half, too big; cut it in half; too big; cut it in half…finally small enough (if a bit larger than I had intended originally). Pushed it in with the flat of my knife and then tucked in the edges (also with the knife).
Don’t know how bad it will look painted, but it beats the mess that I started with. Probably.