Forgot to post this one, from the week before last. Slow session, focusing on improving my brushwork. I tend to make hair very helmety, and our instructor is really phenomenal at painting in a, well, painterly fashion. So I watched her for a while and tried to capture some of that in the treatment of the hair.
Here I’ve begun to refine the highlights, using the additional elements of local color I finished up last week. The local color of the background showed how relatively dull the highlights on the face were, though the shadows aren’t too bad relative to the black shirt.
Continuing with the variation on the theme for doing more refined work at the early stages, the local color lay-in this time is much more vibrant than the usual dead color we use. Part of this is the desire to get to later painting stage instruction, despite the time limitations of the class.
Model was running late, so only had around an hour and a half of sitting time, at least a half hour of which was mixing paint. So lots left unfinished, because of both less brush time and less mixing time (didn’t have time to whip up mixes for the hair or lips).
As always, we lose a bit of the drawing at this phase. Getting a little better at not completely wrecking it, though!
Getting close to transferring the schematic over to canvas. Graphite on drawing paper, 16×20.
Last week’s WIP, snapped a pic while I was in the studio for figure drawing. Working the left eye and roughing in some highlights.
More first painting this week. Got pretty bogged down, starting with a clean palette (mix mix mix) and complex forms. Focus was mostly on the nose and getting some more proper contrast in that area. Also fixed the eyebrow and sketched in the forehead.
Had a pretty successful night. Fixed the drawing for the right side of the head, had to widen things out by almost an inch, but the proportions are correct now. Better to fix something immediately, no matter that it’s a lot of effort. Then I focused on first painting the shadows. Since his right cheek and eye were mostly framed by shadows, and I needed to mix some halftones to blend the shadow edge into, I also first painted the cheek and eye there. All in all, quite a bit of paint was put down last night!
Part of my ability to get right into painting was my awesome pochade box. Most of my mixes from last week were still workable, so I was able to start painting almost immediately. Here’s the state of the palette after last night’s session:
Values underpainting for Judith. Just titanium white and burnt umber, thinned with OMS.
I figured it was about time to start a master copy at home to augment my schoolwork. I’m going to zoom in on a section of a Caravaggio. Oil on canvas, 11×14.
Starting the first painting with the hand, chin and mouth. Basically just putting in the planar changes and adding a vibrant color to build on later. I once again put my faith in my instructor, because to me it looked garishly bright. After watching her paint for a while, though, and picking her brain for a bit, I was able to get it to start coming together. It’s a bit different than the previous portraits and I love how she continues to push me with each project.