Forgot to post this one, from the week before last. Slow session, focusing on improving my brushwork. I tend to make hair very helmety, and our instructor is really phenomenal at painting in a, well, painterly fashion. So I watched her for a while and tried to capture some of that in the treatment of the hair.
Here I’ve begun to refine the highlights, using the additional elements of local color I finished up last week. The local color of the background showed how relatively dull the highlights on the face were, though the shadows aren’t too bad relative to the black shirt.
Continuing with the variation on the theme for doing more refined work at the early stages, the local color lay-in this time is much more vibrant than the usual dead color we use. Part of this is the desire to get to later painting stage instruction, despite the time limitations of the class.
Model was running late, so only had around an hour and a half of sitting time, at least a half hour of which was mixing paint. So lots left unfinished, because of both less brush time and less mixing time (didn’t have time to whip up mixes for the hair or lips).
As always, we lose a bit of the drawing at this phase. Getting a little better at not completely wrecking it, though!
Getting close to transferring the schematic over to canvas. Graphite on drawing paper, 16×20.
Continuing with the skirts, I finished out the Dusky Skin triad, to keep things simple. Similarly, I did the same using Clotted and Carnage Reds to finish the hood/sashes.
Tried zenithal priming these guys with an airbrush…results about the same as a rattle can, with way more cleanup. Don’t really want to spend any time learning airbrush skills, so be it.
I then base coated the skin for each as follows: Orc, Twilight Blue; Dwarf, Dark Skin; Goblin, mix of Ghoul Skin and Black Green. Leather, skirts and misc were base coated in Dusky Skin Shadow.
Been wanting to get back into painting a mini now and again, probably nothing more than tabletop for a while. So I took a couple hours to slap some paint on this guy I had sitting on the shelf, already primed.
So I think I’ve mostly forgotten how to paint minis. Didn’t help that I snagged the wrong paper for my wet palette, it was a square of tracing paper, so it was a total mess!
Last week’s WIP, snapped a pic while I was in the studio for figure drawing. Working the left eye and roughing in some highlights.
More first painting this week. Got pretty bogged down, starting with a clean palette (mix mix mix) and complex forms. Focus was mostly on the nose and getting some more proper contrast in that area. Also fixed the eyebrow and sketched in the forehead.