Gift card

For Mother’s Day, I drew a couple cards using sketchbook paper. Loved the idea, hated the flimsy “cards”. So I decided to try my hand at making a printed card from a drawing. I think it turned out pretty well!

Da Vinci copy card version
Da Vinci copy card version

K2SO Framed

I finally set aside some time this afternoon to begin learning mat cutting. Since I’ve done a lot of stuff in my little sketchbook, I figure I’d start there. Definitely have to start getting in the habit of drawing in borders before I compose, and size that border a bit shorter so it more uniformly fits the standard frame size.

It was a nice learning session with some great cello music setting the mood. Made a few mistakes, learned things. I’m quite excited that I’ve taken my first step toward being able to make my own work presentable!

K2-SO framed
K2-SO framed

Da Vinci shoulder study copy

This will be a thank you card for the friend who bought me the Da Vinci anatomy book. See, buy me good art books and you might get a drawing out of it! About 5-6″, graphite.

Da Vinci shoulder copy
Da Vinci shoulder copy

Loomis Mannikins

Working on the 2nd stage mannikins from Loomis’ Figure Drawing. These are really helping my visualize proportions. Besides adding a bit more structure, it’s getting a feel for the gesture of the bones and simplifies the 8-head scale into quarters (mostly for the lower half).

Loomis Mannikins
Loomis Mannikins

Loomis Mannikins

Working on 1st stage Loomis mannikins. Some from the book, some from abstracting photos, some from imagination.

Good for whipping up quick poses and builds nicely off the proportion work I was doing earlier in this book.

Loomis Mannikins
Loomis Mannikins

Darth Malgus

I did a drawing using a promo statue of Darth Malgus as reference. I started it on May 4th for a Star Wars project, but I also wanted to practice working from a live reference rather than a drawing copy. Graphite 9×12.

Darth Malgus
Darth Malgus

Upper Arm Studies

Ok, time to get back to regular updates.

Here we have some upper arm studies from Winsow’s anatomy. I had recently done some arm abstraction from Huston’s figure drawing, and this follows the idea of gesture – structure – anatomy. Graphite 9×12.

Upper Arm Studies
Upper Arm Studies

Tuesday Night Figure Drawing

20 minute pose, 18×24 charcoal on newsprint. I made some progress toward making the hair look better. Focusing on it as a mass, and even getting in some highlights on this one.

This model has a pretty intense shoulder girdle, there were several poses where it looked out of balance because slight movements really pushed one shoulder way up or down. Good clavicle practice, exceedingly pronounced, trying to make them look right without being too stark was a challenge.

Same model as the starkly-lit back shot from a couple weeks back.

]

20 minute pose, 18×24 charcoal on bristol. I was not focused at all last night, and I drew a couple tough angles (I actually had to move to get this angle) because the class is still pretty full.

In addition to my first decent foot, I also did a couple not-atrocious faces and again the hair as a volume. Still need to get my head proportions correct, but I’m pretty stoked with the leg proportions (I actually remembered to follow gesture/structure/anatomy there!).