More or less the same still life from last session. We were supposed to go more into linear shading again, but it fights me horribly, so I got lazy and went back to smooth shading. Both of these ended up being about 30 minute drawings. On the second one, I used a stump for the first time right at the end. It will take some time to get used to and it killed a lot of my subtler shading, but it is gorgeous for inky blacks. And it saved my fingertip (which I’d been using to blend previously).
Here’s this week’s sketchbook digest. Still not much output, but I’m getting more comfortable sketching.
Drawing the sculpt for the Kingdom Death King’s Man. HB graphite pencil. I like it and I’m thinking about making it into a small painting. Also scale for last week’s skull sketch.
Further exploration into the King’s Man idea, based on some of the artwork in the rulebook for Kingdom Death: Monster. The armored face tends to be larger in the art than in the sculpt. I initially was playing with the faces being serene as a juxtaposition to their brutal nature carrying out the will of the King. But then I tried some expressions and adding the furrowed brow and a little downturn to the mouth gives him the look of a serene dreamer on the brink of nightmare (the center face). HB graphite pencil.
Scaling up to my usual drawing size, 18×24 using a B and 4B graphite pencil. Scaled too far, forgot I was thinking of making it a SMALL painting! I had initially put in the lantern bardiche, but it was too forced. Maybe if this turns out well, I’ll revisit the idea, since having the light source from that would be cool. This took way longer than I expected, struggled a lot with the basic shapes and proportions. Tipped me over the edge and I signed up for figure drawing next semester. I don’t feel ready, but I need to learn it for the stuff I want to work on, soo….
I’m going to try a weekly digest of sketchbook images, so I don’t flood the blog with unfinished/study stuff. I’ll be posting more often to Facebook during the week, because it’s a spammy platform and it can use more art these days.
Not a lot to start with this week, but I’m hoping that seeing my weekly sketchbook output in a digest will help motivate me to put more into my studies!
Some cartilage studies show previously, copied from Winslow’s excellent book. HB graphite pencil.
A casual sketch of Morte, my 1:1 skull. Also HB graphite pencil.
Thanks to Mori for continuing inspiration on putting pencil to paper daily!
Here’s the more or less assembled Ufhilloss. Still needs a solid round of green stuffing and probably going to pin those arms, too…
And a new acquisition from Japan, something to keep things dust-free on the workbench!
Tonight we were supposed to do another pure tonal drawing with three tones, but the lack of underdrawing in the one from last week bugged me too much (and she’s a bit less strict with students repeating the class!). So I did an underdrawing, but the added time for that detracted from (once again) finishing a drawing.
Overall a fun drawing. Wish I had time to finish, but hey. I estimate it would take me around two hours to actually finish a charcoal still life to a decent standard.
Conte on charcoal-toned bristol, 18×24.
So kind of a bummer of a class, but I saved it at the end. Tried to work on the mouth/chin/facial hair and just kept getting frustrated. Eventually just sponged the whole night’s work off! As my mind said, “your mojo isn’t here, just go home and chill,” I decided to switch gears entirely.
The instructor had given a lesson on cooling off skin tones and we have a very cool fluorescent I hadn’t accounted for yet (intending to work on shadows next week). So with a half hour left, I mixed up some paint and started slapping down quick color blocks and blending them out. It’s far from perfect, but it looks pretty cool, it directly followed the lesson plan, and it kinda saved my night.
So awesome when I can turn a bad experience into a good one. It’s something I always strive to do (ask me about the Woodstock Inn some time).
Tonight’s rules were to only use shadow and light shapes, no linework at all. Not being able to sketch in the ellipses, draw height lines, etc…it results in a wonky drawing. It’s a good mental exercise and underscores the importance of the initial gesture and construction phases of a drawing. But it makes for a pretty bad drawing…
It was a bit longer drawing, but it was so tough to get anything done without the fundamentals underneath. So I just used it as a mental exercise at first and then just played with values for a bit (since there was no saving it and I didn’t want to go through that again with a second drawing!).
Conte on charcoal toned bristol paper, 18×24 (aka ‘the usual’).
I’m hoping to start getting in some time with minis between my other projects, so I’ll go ahead and fire up a WIP post.
The other night I started cleaning up a Mierce snake and found a bubble in a terrible spot, right at the sword hilt. So I took it as an opportunity to learn another kind of pinning, though the existing hilt. In the process of doing this, I snapped the hilt again between the hands, which was actually ok as I wanted to pin through to the other hand anyway.
And the right arm pinned and glued, as well.
I’m probably going to have to paint the arms separate, since they cross over the body. Ditto the tail segment, it loops next to itself. I’ve never painted a mini in parts before, should be interesting.
Still need to pin the body to the lower half, assemble the tail, create pins for assembling the 3 sections later, then figure out a base.
Tonight was focusing on the eyes. Really difficult, but overall my favorite part because, much like minis, it brings the painting to life.
The white on the lips is to set up a more vivid red next week when it dries. Same as painting minis! I scored a bonus point for knowing why!