Oil Portrait Homework

I decided to block in the light side of the face at home. I hope I didn’t mess things up too badly by ‘rushing’ things, but I did refer to my notes from last semester. I had some notes in my notebook but also it was nice having the blog to refer to! Keep a blog! My two worries are that I corrected a bunch of stuff at this stage last semester, and this time I’m just working off the drawing; and also I’m hoping my technique is correct, as I’ve only done this once and my first time was rough… Anyway, here’s the initial blocking:

Then I smooth over the transitions to remove any hard edges. I took a pic partway through this step so you can see how it softens the edges.

And the completed blocking of dark and light masses for the head.

I like it overall. I did shift the center slightly to leave some more space to the right, where he’s looking off into the distance. Not sure if that’s good composition, but I like it 🙂 So Wednesday I’ll be ready to start putting in local color! This weekend’s homework moved me from one week behind to one week ahead! Next big challenge is remembering how to mix flesh tones from primaries…