This guy took a while and is probably over the top for a gaming mini, but I present Zachary of the First Story of Kingdom Death: Monster!
Flesh tones are basically what I used for Rollo last winter. Golden Highlight, Tanned Skin, Redstone Highlight, Russet Brown. I subbed in VGC Ivory for Linen White. I added Muddy Soil to deepen the shadows and create some definition in them.
The cloth is basically Alien Flesh shaded with P3 Coal Black and tinted with glazes of Camo Green. Highlights mixed in Ivory and I deepened the shadows, mixing Walnut Brown into the Coal Black.
The slight bit of NMM was that Coal Black/Walnut Brown mix brought up with Alien Flesh and Ivory. For the base, I just tried to emulate the game board’s colors while sticking to colors used on the mini previously.
Started off tonight’s session by finishing up the skirt with some glazes and highlights.
Then I did the lamp and the base.
Yep, that’s a bad phone pic of the finished paint job. Won’t be able to do a proper pic until I get out of this cast and can finish the project in my den that I began before I broke my toe. Photo setup is in there, though I may have to make another temp setup before then…
You know the drill, another short session. We’re getting there, though!
This session focused on the cloth again, deepening the rough shadows and then using glazes to smooth things out and then highlight upwards.
Another really quick session today, took a while to get going. I did manage to transfer my P3 Coal Black to a dropper bottle, though!
I did a glaze of a yellow green on the cloth and then roughed in some shadows. Like….really rough, so I called it a day before I really messed anything up! But it does give the feel of what I’m going for, especially the front parts.
Some more work on the flesh highlights then decided to do the hair and weapon…
Apologies for the blurry pics, I was in a rush to finish up the (short) session today.
Got a bit more work done on the legs this afternoon…same 4 colors (from mid-tone to shadow) as the upper parts.
More refinement on the upper areas, as everything is pretty well on its way there. Did the first super rough blocking on the legs.
Marching along with some more work on Zach, so much for a quick gaming paint job, heh. The minis are just too cool for that, really!
More work on shading, extending and refining as I go. Put in the basics of the face, as well.
And the saga continues with this new style of blocking in color I’m trying out. Still digging it, even if I have no idea how I’ll get good blends later 🙂 First round was moving around some of the Russet Brown and Redstone Highlight and also beginning to extend both to new areas.
The next round was mostly extending out the Muddy Soil to fill in the darkest voids and accentuate the great definition in the sculpt. If you compare to the previous shot you can see some of the process in his left armpit.
And his back, not a whole lot here, just filling in some of the shadow volumes and the very start of dark definition on the right.
This is a really fun style, but probably as slow as my normal painting, hah. Unlike blending, there’s no room for mistakes when laying in the colors here (especially the darkest), so I think I traded the back and forth of blending for the precision of whatever I’ll call this technique.
I get an almost Frazetta vibe at times, which is probably a penultimate feeling as a painter! Hope you guys are digging this, let me know what you think.
Still kinda hard to get in paint time, but at least the paint station is set up and ready to go. Got in a little time today. still working out the overall values a bit but getting close to the final shade values in the area I’m working. Then applying that to the rest of the skin and blending it out.
He’s quite bent over, so I keep having to dial things back further, which is why I chose that darkest area to work on first. I’ll begin working out the highlights on the upper back in a similar fashion.