So a weird thing happened when I began tackling this mountain of plastic mans…I really enjoy plastic kits! The quality of the casting on offer here helps a great deal, of course.
Anyway, I finished up the initial assembly of the Kingdom Death four basic survivors and the lion. Forgot to do the lower jaw on the lion, so I had to cut the tab and jam it in there best I could.
Next step: lots of gap filling…
I got in my core game box of Kingdom Death: Monster. It’s epic, it’s awesome, and it’s also a lot more miniature assembly than I’ve ever done. So, starting with the basics and also the easiest to assembly models, here are the 2 male First Story survivors. Still need gap filling, but they’re not too bad given my lack of experience with plastic kits!
Expect to see a bajillion KD minis in the following months as I dig into the core set.
I started a new fun project, the not-Gordon Ramsay from Zombicide. I’m going to try to keep at least one ‘serious’ project (Seza just now) and one fun project(tabletop screwing around fast stuff) on the bench.
In other notes, the RH trooper I had in simple green is being stubborn about being cleaned, I’m just going to shelve that project for now. I started cleaning a newer RH jailbird hero and the resin was more brittle than some of the older RH resin and she lost her bayonette. Since I wanted to do a side-by-side with a metal one to show quality comparison…it kinda ruined the similarity a bit and took the wind out of my sails for that project. Not shelved, but under consideration (I’ll have to prime them before taking any photos. Lastly, I finally got around to the final prep stages on my plastic KD TK pinup, I decided to glue the head to the cloak but paint that separate from teh body. It was a tricky glue-up, but I had a good plan and it worked well. Still needs a bit of GS for the gap, but it will be ready for primer soon and be a rather interesting job, as disassmbled painting is new for me.
Taking a detour, I got in some Tamiya Red and Smoke to play with blood effects, since I’ve been unhappy and my zombies tend to be rather unbloodied as a result. It’s smelly, vile stuff and dries out relatively quickly into a sticky mass…but it looks great. It might be a bit too gloss, in fact (and thus difficult to photo well), especially since I topcoat with dulcote.
First up are the Bones zombies I did long ago. Not much new work, I tried to simply reinforce what I had done in regular acrylics.
After getting some of the mixing down a bit, I slathered up the Zombicide season 1 fatty, again just reinforcing previous work.
Then I hit the last of my previously unsatisfying bloodwork on the Kingdom Death Twilight Knight’s sword and trophy. Long time readers will remember the sword broke where the blade meets the crossguard, and it’s just a superglued butt joint. I could feel it wanting to break just lightly brushing on the blood…but it survived. Not a very noticeable improvement, but it makes me feel better. And I took some alt angles for kicks.
Primer continued flaking off the RH soldier, so she’s in a simple green bath. Not sure what happened there.
I put in about an hour on Seza, these large minis are just so daunting and take so long (so in my universe, that’s an eternity!). Mostly working on the lower legs, cleaning up some of the shading and trying to nail all the spots the white primer showed through. Also playing with some new brush loading techniques on the palette, so consistency is all over the place.