Started in on the outer cloak colors.
Started in on the outer cloak colors.
Spent the morning looking at paint trying to pick a scheme for Hasslefree’s Gwen, sculpted by the prolific Kev White. Decided on a rich blue set off by a gold interior. Armor will be done in TMM.
Great sculpt, but a few really tough spots between the legs and behind the sword.
Assembly on Seza. Upper parts are glued and filled with GS. Had a big gap where I slightly repositioned the left arm, another between the hair and back. Still one more spot on the other side of the hair I need to fill in.
Apparently I forgot to clean the mold lines on the legs before gluing, woops. I’ll GS those joins and then clean them up when it’s more solid. After that, I’ll glue on the skirts between each leg and use GS to clean those up. Then figure out what I’ll base her on!
Some more progress on the Keeper, moonlight and the first rough-in of the OSL on the base.
Sorry for the blurry pics, my SD card died and kinda pushed me out of the zone. I lost 6 months of pics and recordings.
Started today’s bench time with assembly. Didn’t plan ahead and wasted a bunch of GS, I like to let my superglued joints sit overnight before poking GS into gaps, woops. But I did manage to get Thalia’s arm GS’d, I went a bit heavy because she’s so delicate, hopefully paint will cover it ok.
Then I glued up Seza’s arms and head, but didn’t want to go for the legs and cloth until I can GS the upper parts. She’ll be a longer term assembly, but that’s cool. My first somewhat large resin assembly. Feels good having something quite different on the bench…and a Mierce mini, finally!
My plan was to then start in on paint for the Keeper’s base, but the tamiya grey primer I had zenithal’d with was beading paint a bit and I just didn’t like how it was looking. So I reprimed it in AP black with a very light zenithal of AP white. I like to let my primer sit an hour or so, so I don’t think I’ll be getting any more done today.
But, it’s some progress across three projects, so that’s cool.
I laid some purple into the shadows and defined a few things and then snipped him off the cork. Positioned and measured and dry-fit onto the base. Sorry for the pic, too close to the light and the glossy-ish varnish isn’t helping things (it will get dullcote later). But I just wanted to give you guys the basic gist of it.
His old cork was quickly occupied by Thalia, and I tack glued her arm on with superglue. I’ll let that set for now and finish the joint with GS later. And keep my fingers crossed. Once I get her primed I’ll have a couple ladies ready for paint after the evil Loc Nar moves off the bench.
I put in another round of OSL, but I think the bottom of the skirt is getting too light, starting to look like a green skirt and losing the ‘halo’ I like to show with OSL. So I varnished him and I’ll clip his pins, drill and dry-fit him on the base. That will let me start painting up the base, which will help me make decisions on finalizing the OSL on the man himself.
I think part of getting carried away on the lower parts was Kuro’s comment on blending :p Overall I’m pretty happy with where it’s at, and hopefully it sets up the lighting for the base properly and I can get away with not having to tweak it too much more…
I also primed another mini that will hopefully be a pretty quick one to try a couple things out. I don’t think anything new, rather a really old technique (inspired by looking at Orson again, his robe) and a new one (TMM). Painting a Hasslefree (or is it ‘an Hasslefree’ in the UK?) mini is long overdue.
Some more work on the Keeper’s OSL.
Stopping here to head up to my buddy’s place for some gaming this evening. I also want to think about some tweaks, I think I’ll also punch up the right side of the face, even though it doesn’t technically get that much light. Just to pull focus and make it super evil villainy.
Championship Sunday, nice crackling fire, cat nestled on the blanket nearby…perfect hobby day. I spent it on a variety of things old and new.
I dusted off the Keeper, who has been languishing for a looong time on the bench. I spent a little time doing some value correction on his display base, mostly just black washes. And onto the Keeper himself, I glazed the orb a bit and then began sketching in the initial (darkest) layer of OSL to get an idea of where I’m going with it. Since I want it to be bright enough to hit some of the elements of his base, I’m going to have to push this way beyond what I did previously with the gravedigger.
I think he’s going to be pretty cool!
Then I tried my hand at sculpting a rosebud per Corporea’s excellent tutorial. I am terribad with GS, but I managed to mangle together three candidates which are way too tiny to photograph with my phone. I used the leftover GS to make a large one, and an amorphous head-type thing.
The rose is eventually going to hopefully maybe be part of Dark Sword’s Thalia. I prepped her and another resin mini, here they are drying off on the counter…
Then I prepped yet ANOTHER model I’ve been thinking of painting, a mini from the mind of Kev White (neither the mini nor Kev pictured herein, sorry!).
Didn’t get much done on that initial layer, as my mom popped in for a visit, which put an end to hobby Sunday (in a good way!).
Here’s the first guy I’ve painted from the Operation: Icestorm box for Corvus Belli’s Infinity skirmish game. He’s just a grunt I was working out some color schemes and another attempt to speed things up with tabletop painting.
Had a tough time pinning him to the base (a plastic piece from Sedition Wars), required some touch-ups which is why there is a horrid dot of red that needs fixing on his back calf :p